Past work of APPG
For the work of the APPG since July 2011 visit the group's main page
Westminster’s only All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) dedicated to race equality was formally re-established at the groups AGM on 16th June 2010. Runnymede took over the secretariat for the APPG – which had been inactive since 2005 – at the start of 2010.
Attendees to the AGM included the then group chair Diane Abbott MP, deputy leader of the Liberal Democrats Simon Hughes MP, and Conservative peer Lord Sheikh. Former ministers David Lammy MP, Meg Hillier MP and Jim Fitzpatrick MP were also among the attendees, as well as new Conservative MPs Gavin Barwell and Richard Fuller. Thirteen parliamentarians attended in total.
Q&A session with Theresa May MP
In October 2010, the group held a Q&A session with the home secretary and equalities minister Theresa May MP. The session, which was held jointly with the All Party Parliamentary Group on Equalities, focused on issues including stop and search, the Equality Act, the Equality and Human Rights Commission and discrimination in mental health.
An audio recording of the session is available here.
Q&A session with Nick Herbert MP
In January 2011, the group held a Q&A session with the policing minister Nick Herbert MP. The session focused largely on government reforms to stop and search, as well as police recruitment and elected police commissioners.
A summary of the session is available here.
Joint meeting with Equalities APPGs on reforms to the EHRC and Public Sector Equality Duty
In May 2011, the group held a joint meeting with a number of APPGs focused on equalities issues, to discuss the government's consultation on the EHRC, and proposed changes to the Equality Act.
Membership of the group June 2010 - June 2011
- Chair: Diane Abbott MP (Labour)
- Vice Chair: Lord Lester (Liberal Democrat)
- Vice Chair: Lord Sheikh (Conservative)
- Vice Chair: David Lammy MP (Labour)
- Vice Chair: Lord Adebowale (Cross-bench)
- Lord Avebury (Liberal Democrat)
- Gavin Barwell MP (Conservative)
- Luciana Berger MP (Labour)
- Peter Bottomley MP (Conservative)
- Baroness Coussins (Cross-bench)
- Lord Dholakia (Liberal Democrat)
- Lord Dubs (Labour)
- Jim Fitzpatrick MP (Labour)
- Richard Fuller MP (Conservative)
- Kate Green MP (Labour)
- Meg Hillier MP (Labour)
- Baroness Howells of St Davids (Labour)
- Simon Hughes MP (Liberal Democrat)
- Lord Hunt of Wirral (Conservative)
- Lord Ouseley (Cross-bench)
- Lord Parekh (Labour)
- Baroness Prashar (Cross-bench)
- Jonathan Reynolds MP (Labour)
- Gary Streeter MP (Conservative)
- Paul Uppal MP (Conservative)
- Keith Vaz MP (Labour)